Monday, February 15, 2010

First blossoms

After a month or 2 of winter I kind of just keep your head down and keep going. The near constant gray skies of England, the wet roads, the dark, it all has a general shut-down effect on everyone. Everything outside of work slows down (work never slows down anywhere near London)
So one day while walking head down, partly to make sure I can effective dodge all the puddles and partly because its just so so grim, I glanced up and there it was. The first blossoms.

Now middle of February, summer or even spring, is a fair way away, but suddenly there is some colour. That one tree on my walk from the station that is starting to defy the winter, makes me start to wake you up from my winter hibernation, and suddenly I'm looking for more.

On closer inspection the seemingly dead tree next to the road is holding back from pushing out its leaves. Little seed-like bulbs sit at the end of each and every twig as if the tree is keeping itself busy to keep itself from bursting out into summer mode then and there.

So 6 more weeks and the clocks go back! Then its the time of the year when England is actually a nice place to live.

No comments: